NEVER ALONE


 

May 18, 2023


Read these words below and consider what must have been occurring in the life situation, and mind of the author.

I am the man who has seen affliction by the rod of the LORD’s wrath. He has driven me away and made me walk in darkness rather than light ... He has besieged me and surrounded me with bitterness and hardship. He has made me dwell in darkness like those long dead. He has walled me in so I cannot escape; he has weighed me down with chains. Even when I call out or cry for help, he shuts out my prayer. ... I have been deprived of peace; I have forgotten what prosperity is. So I say, “My splendor is gone and all that I had hoped from the LORD.” I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me.

Let me ask, have you ever felt like this? In what ways can you relate to the words above.

I venture to say most of us have had such moments in our lives that these words describe quite accurately what we felt and thought during a hard place.

Perhaps you recognize those words above, they are from Jeremiah the Prophet that are recorded in Lamentations 3:1-2, 5-8, 17-20. They reveal to us a profound reminder that faithful God followers do sometimes face the darkest of seasons in their lives. There are many examples in our Bible of this. So, if anyone says to you, that a child of God, a faithful follower of Christ should not feel this way. Point them to Jeremiah, or David, perhaps Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane too. You see Jeremiah is just one of the many individuals in Scripture that we have been given a glimpse into their struggle with depression or really dark moments.

What a gift this is when you’re facing your own battle.

Here this truth: You are not alone. That makes a difference doesn’t it?

Jeremiah has more to say to us here.

In Lamentations 3:19-26 he goes on with these words,

I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.

Do you here this? Underneath the shakiness of his emotions is a deep and abiding trust in God’s love and compassion. Jeremiah is deep in distress, yet he is aware that he is not alone. God is with him. God loves him and brings him hope. Jeremiah trusts in the goodness of God, despite where he finds himself at that moment.

In the Prophet Jeremiah’s words, we see the following:

  • You can still have hope despite your downcast soul.
  • God’s great love is certain.
  • God’s compassion never fails.
  • He has fresh compassion for you each day.
  • God’s faithfulness is great.
  • The Lord is your provision.
  • The Lord is good to those who hope in Him, who seek Him.
  • During your distress, darkest place, or depression, it is good to wait for God.
Those are some very powerful take aways from today’s reading.


Which of these truths do you most need to internalize today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE