IS SOMETHING MISSING?


 

May 16, 2023


John 14:27

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.


These are great words above, aren’t they? Imagine living and walking a life path of the untroubled heart and without fear. Count me in on that kind of journey!!

Jesus’ words here are filled with promise. Promise of His peace, emphasis on the HIS part. When we think about these words of promise, we must acknowledge that what is promised is the extreme opposite of a troubled heart, weighed down by fear and anxiety. Truth is, we spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to live with anxiety, to combat anxiety, to medicate anxiety, to alleviate it. There are many helpful practices and medications that have been life saving for many people. Breathing exercises, grounding exercises, just exercise, Yoga, to talk therapy, group therapy, all these are tremendously helpful.

In my own journey it occurred to me that I needed a different approach. Instead of trying to somehow control or escape anxious thoughts, I discovered I needed an approach that would lead me to pursue God’s peace. Peace was the one thing I did not have.

What if anxiety or troubled hearts is simply the outcome of the absence of God’s peace? Much like darkness is simply the absence of light. What if when God’s peace floods our spirits, there is no room left for our hearts to be troubled and filled with fear.

What if God’s Peace dispels anxiety, worry, fear, and paralyzing thoughts?

I guess what I am saying is, that I wonder if rather than focusing on the elimination of anxiety and all the associated thoughts, we were to rather concentrate on pursuing God’s peace, what difference might that make in our lives?

How might we pursue God’s Peace? Here are some suggestions


Trust God. Begins with faith
Pray. Trade anxious thoughts for God's peace.
Read God’s Word. Receive God's comfort.
Be grateful. 
Develop Right Thinking (see Philippians 4:8)
Obedience. Follow God's guidance.

I recognize these disciplines are not always easy to do, but remember that we have the Holy Spirit dwelling with us, empowering us, guiding us, helping us, to live God’s best each day.


“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”                                     

Romans 15:13


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE