WHAT IS IT WE FEAR?


 

JUNE 28, 2023

 

Psalm 139:7-12

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.





Over the last couple of days, we have noted that as humans we have the tendency to want to hide from God, Adam and Eve did. When you really think about it, it is quite ridiculous to think that we can hide from our creator. It’s kind of like playing with a child, and you walk into child’s room and seeing a lumped form under the blankets, and child thinking they are invisible to you.

One of God’s profound attributes is His omnipresence. This theological word simply means God is everywhere. That is good news for you and for me. We cannot run and we cannot hide from his love. I believe, that running and hiding in any situation and from any person has to do with our fear. Fear of harm, fear of consequences, fear of punishment perhaps. Remember that the Bible tells us that perfect love (God’s Love) casts out all fear.

Consider the words from 1 John 4:18: “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” Another translation puts it like this, "Love will never invoke fear. Perfect love expels fear, particularly the fear of punishment. The one who fears punishment has not been completed through love." Next time you find yourself attempting to hide from God, "under the blankets" or "in the graden" remember God's unending love for you. There is no need to run and hide. If you are going to do any running, let it be to run into God’s loving embrace.

REFLECT


How have you, or do you find comfort in God’s omnipresence?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE