AN IMPORTANT DISTINCTION

 



JUNE 21, 2023




Exodus 2:23-25

During that long period, the king of Egypt died. The Israelites groaned in their slavery and cried out, and their cry for help because of their slavery went up to God. God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob. So God looked on the Israelites and was concerned about them.


Psalm 6:3-6 

My soul is in deep anguish.
How long, Lord, how long?

Turn, Lord, and deliver me;
save me because of your unfailing love.

Among the dead no one proclaims your name.
Who praises you from the grave?

I am worn out from my groaning.

All night long I flood my bed with weeping
and drench my couch with tears.


Numbers 11:1-2, 4-6 

Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the Lord, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the Lord burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp. When the people cried out to Moses, he prayed to the Lord and the fire died down…

The rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the Israelites started wailing and said, “If only we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost—also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!”




In the readings today we see that God’s people expressed their distress in two ways: groaning and grumbling. Groaning seems to be encouraged in the Bible, but grumbling is a problem.

What's the difference between them?

Groaning is something I say to God; grumbling is something I say about God.

Groaning I do to God's face; grumbling I do behind God's back so to speak.

Grumbling is self-centered. Groaning is God-centered.

The place where Israel would groan or lament is on their knees in prayer to God, just as they did in the Exodus passage. The place where they would grumble is in their tents, in isolation, where they were free to exaggerate or make up whatever they wanted too about what they were not pleased about. But God heard them.

Did you happen to notice how the grumbling was contagious? Numbers 11:4 mentions that the rabble (crowd) started to crave other food, and their grumbling spread to the Israelites. This demonstrates how incredibly poisonous grumbling is. It’s destructive to families, to workplaces, and our communities.

Distinguishing between grumbling and groaning to express our discontent is important in order that we might redirect our hearts toward God and prevent the destruction that can come when we fall into a pattern of grumbling.

When you find yourself in difficult circumstances what are your tendencies?

Groaning?

or

Grumbling?

Reflect

We all experience times of discontent and distress where grumbling is our primary response.

In those times, how might you trade in your grumbling, and take your grievances to God in humble prayer? Reread and Use Psalm 6:3-6 as an example today.


LET US PRAY

Give ear to my words, O Lord;
consider my groaning.
Give attention to the sound of my cry,
my King and my God,
for to you do I pray.
Psalm 5:1-2





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE