LEARNING THE SECRET TO CONTENTMENT

 



JUNE 16, 2023


Philippians 4:11-13

“I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”


Contentment is a powerful defense in the battle against comparison in our lives. When you’re content, you can rejoice with others in the blessings they experience because you are enjoying the blessings in your own life. It seems to me that at times we resent God’s goodness in the lives of others, while ignoring God’s blessings in our own lives. A lack of contentment in life does that.

I have noticed, maybe you have too, that when you are content, comparison rarely happens. To be sure, the temptations to compare still come, but when you’re satisfied in life, you’re less likely to give in.

The apostle Paul, who wrote about contentment in his letter to the Philippians, credited his contentment to God who gave him strength from day to day. In all things, Paul had learned the secret to contentment: gratitude. Whether he had little or much, he recognized that all blessings came from God’s provision, and even when he had little, God had a purpose in that. Paul’s desire was for God to be glorified in him, and if that were to happen, Paul’s desire for his own praise and fame would have to die. So must ours.

Can I suggest that over this weekend at some point you take time to write down some of the things that God has given you that you are most thankful for.

Then, place your list where you can easily view it.

During those times when you find yourself closing your eyes to God’s blessings in your own life, and then resenting God’s goodness in the lives of others. Go to the place where your list is and read your reasons for gratitude.

May this help us to stay focused and to be able to say, “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.”

REFLECT

Where do you lack contentment? 

Ask God to help you become more content in these areas.

LET US PRAY

God, grant me a heart filled with gratitude and grace, that I may find contentment in Your loving care and blessings in my life. I come before You today with a heart full of gratitude. Thank You for the countless blessings that You have showered upon my life. In the midst of life’s challenges, I ask for the grace to be content with what I have and to trust in Your divine provision. Amen.

Matthew 6:33

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE