HELPING or HURTING?

 



JUNE 5, 2023



James 1:19-26

19My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. 21Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

22Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

26Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.




It seems like all it takes to be outraged or offended is a quick scroll on social media. We see it throughout our feeds—friends fighting on Facebook, controversial news headlines, and families not speaking because of something someone posted.

And the truth is, as media analysts will tell you, that outrage sells. Headlines that create a rift, that drive apart people or positions, get more clicks, so news outlets keep writing them. I was reading in an article recently that the benefit of what has been called Cancel culture is that it gets people talking, (maybe arguing) and the outcome is increased revenue for advertisers.

So, what is it about outrage that keeps us engaged?

People may not easily admit it, but many like being angry. I know, we may not enjoy up-close conflict, but we often like taking a stance or choosing a side.

Followers of Jesus, sometimes will label their anger as “righteous,” justifying it when they think it’s for a good cause. Now we must acknowledge that righteous anger is a biblical concept, yet it is worth asking ourselves: Is my anger actually righteous, or is it a just an excuse for me to prove I’m right?

Look at what James 1:19-20 NIV says:

… Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.

Some anger is good. When something hurts one of God’s children for example, we should absolutely get angry. But that anger needs to lead to acts of love and compassion, not to pride and separation.

The Bible teaches us that godly anger prompts us to do something to help. Human anger prompts us to do something that hurts.

Let us think today about our anger, ask yourself

Is my anger most often fueled by righteousness or my desire to be right?

Is my anger helping others or hurting others?


LET US PRAY

God, thank You that through Christ, there is no condemnation. Help me fully receive Your grace and mercy so that I can extend it to others. Reveal to me any areas in my life where I am harboring unrighteous anger, and help me lay it at Your feet. Purify me of anything that isn’t pleasing to You, and help me humbly accept and live from Your Word. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE