LOVE IS A VERB

 FEBRUARY 16, 2023





1 John 3:16-18

We know love by this, that he laid down his life for us — and we ought to lay down our lives for one another. How does God’s love abide in anyone who has the world’s goods and sees a brother or sister in need and yet refuses help? Little children, let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Love is a verb. Love as a verb points to action. Love as a verb is revealed and made authentic in actions and in deeds. Love as a verb is alive and active.

Love as an action is demonstrated in the self-giving love of Jesus Christ (v. 13). We know the height of love in the sacrificial love of Jesus through his death for us. This view is reflected in the Gospel of John: “No one has greater love than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends” (John 15:13). Both of these texts speak about self-giving, mutual Christian love as being modeled for us by Christ’s death. The bible tells us that this form of love is not out of our reach even though many of us think it is. The Bible repeatedly invites us, and challenges to a life of love in which we imitate Christ in his sacrificial love, even to the point of sacrifice and suffering and yes, even death for one another.

As Christ’s love is revealed in action, so our love is to be made genuine in our acts of compassion. Our love is not demonstrated simply in word, it is easy to verbally say “I love you with all my heart”, but putting those words into action authenticates the truth spoken. Christian Love in action, is observed in our deeds toward those who are most vulnerable and in need. Those who “have the world’s goods” are to act generously towards Christian brothers and sisters who don’t. This active love, exemplified in Christ, extends beyond our own community to our neighbor (Matthew 22:39) and finally, to our enemies (Matthew 5:44).

Now that’s a love that the culture around us will take notice of. Love as a verb becomes our silent witness to Christ’s love in us and the Spirit’s work through us.

TAKE AWAY

Sit in silence for a few moments and meditate on the phrase Love in action.

What is this text calling me to do in showing compassion for others in the world?

How I can embody the truth of this text in family life, vocation, leisure and relationships?



LET US PRAY

Holy God, in whom I live and move and have my being, you are the fountain of all goodness and grace. I confess that I have not always lived in the character of Christ. Too often I have confessed my love with lips and mind but have not expressed it with hands and feet. I have not always loved my brother or sister in Christ nor my neighbor as myself. Forgive me and mold my life into the likeness of Christ. Instill in me the practices and habits that will empower me to be holy as you are holy. For the sake of Christ, I pray. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE