TEACH ME YOUR HOLY WAYS, O LORD

 FEBRUARY 20, 2023




Psalm 119:33-40


33 Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes,
and I will observe it to the end.
34 Give me understanding, that I may keep your law
and observe it with my whole heart.
35 Lead me in the path of your commandments,
for I delight in it.
36 Turn my heart to your decrees
and not to selfish gain.
37 Turn my eyes from looking at vanities;
be gracious to me according to your word.
38 Confirm to your servant your promise,
which is for those who fear you.
39 Turn away the disgrace that I dread,
for your ordinances are good.
40 See, I have longed for your precepts;
in your righteousness be gracious to me.



Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes…
Psalm 119:33



Have you ever read Psalm 119 in one sitting? If you have you would have noticed the poet’s deep longing, the cry from his heart.

Many writers describe Psalm 119 as a devotional on the word of God. Bible scholars suggest that it was most likely composed originally in writing (rather than orally) and this writing was intended to be read instead of sung or recited. Most of its text is addressed to God, blending prayers with the declaration of a passionate devotion to God’s law, that is, to God’s word. The author humbly and honestly admits the rebellious ways of his heart and life, the pain and fruit of the Lord’s discipline through affliction, and his suffering from those who are hostile toward him. Underscored in the Psalm are God’s instructions for life, and God’s gracious promises.

Hearing the deep longing and desire of the psalmist’s heart in today’s reading, can you make them your own requests of the Lord? One of the amazing blessings we receive from our God that fills us with gratitude is that God’s Holy Spirit lives in us, teaching us, giving us insight into God’s word, deepening our understanding, changing our hearts, renewing our minds, and transforming us into women and men who are holy and acceptable to our creator.

Psalm 119 records for us the psalmist longing for a deeper work of God in him that would enable him to walk in the ways of the Lord, to take God at his word into daily life. He was hungry for a growing relationship with the God, recognising that only God could turn his eyes away from worthless things, and turn his heart toward the worship of the true and living God.

Likewise, let us be intentional in relying on the Holy Spirit to bring God’s word alive in us and through us.

LET US PRAY

Lord, we ask for insight into, and understanding of, your word and ways every day. Amen

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE