I WANT ME SOME OF THAT

 DECEMBER 28, 2022



JOHN 14:26-27


“But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the
Father will send in my name, will teach you all
things and will remind you of everything I have
said to you. Peace, I leave with you; my peace I
give you. I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be
afraid.”


When we think about the scene of Jesus’ birth, “peace” is probably not the first word that comes to mind. In Luke’s account of the story (Luke 2), we read that while Mary was pregnant, she and Joseph traveled about 80 miles on a donkey to Bethlehem, because of Caesar’s census. Upon arriving, the couple found there were no rooms available, so Mary had to give birth to the Savior of the world in a stable. To me, this scene of a journey in late pregnancy, newborn infant laid in a manger, the presence of animals, and the darkness of the night doesn’t exactly paint a picture of peace. Rather, it seems this situation results in an overwhelming and chaotic circumstance. Where is the peace in this? No wonder that Chris Rice asks, “Did the Angels waste their words.” The Nativity scriptures and the after-birth scriptures seem to have more conflict than peace.

In today’s Scripture from John, Jesus encourages His disciples by saying that after He returns to the Father, the Holy Spirit will come to remind them of everything He had taught them. Jesus left us with the promised Holy Spirit to constantly point us back to Himself and help us live in His perfect peace. 

Jesus says “Peace, I leave with you; my peace I give you.” Let us not miss what Jesus says next, it is rather important about this peace, “I do not give to you as the world gives.” Peace that I give, Jesus implies is not simply a circumstantial absence of conflict, my peace is deeper, it is an experience deep in your spirit that all is well. It is a peace that rests in God’s faithfulness.

This has been a rough year, for most people. Doesn’t it feel like we have been enduring one long, tiresome, unexpected, and difficult journey to Bethlehem. We have arrived there, we celebrated that on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and we have heard the angel message that was declared our Emmanuel Has Come!! God with Us. Our Prince of Peace. Glory to God in the highest.

This means that when the world around us plunges deeper into darkness, chaos, and instability, we can walk confidently and bravely because our foundation has been built upon the love and work of Jesus, our Prince of Peace. The one who is the same, "yesterday, today, and forever." 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE