FOLLOW, I Will Follow You

 SEPTEMBER 8, 2022






Numbers 9:15-23

15 On the day the tabernacle, the tent of the covenant law, was set up, the cloud covered it. From evening till morning the cloud above the tabernacle looked like fire. 16 That is how it continued to be; the cloud covered it, and at night it looked like fire. 17 Whenever the cloud lifted from above the tent, the Israelites set out; wherever the cloud settled, the Israelites encamped. 18 At the Lord’s command the Israelites set out, and at his command they encamped. As long as the cloud stayed over the tabernacle, they remained in camp. 19 When the cloud remained over the tabernacle a long time, the Israelites obeyed the Lord’s order and did not set out. 20 Sometimes the cloud was over the tabernacle only a few days; at the Lord’s command they would encamp, and then at his command they would set out. 21 Sometimes the cloud stayed only from evening till morning, and when it lifted in the morning, they set out. Whether by day or by night, whenever the cloud lifted, they set out. 22 Whether the cloud stayed over the tabernacle for two days or a month or a year, the Israelites would remain in camp and not set out; but when it lifted, they would set out. 23 At the Lord’s command they encamped, and at the Lord’s command they set out. They obeyed the Lord’s order, in accordance with his command through Moses.

Matthew 4:19

19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.”

Matthew 11:28-30

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”


Isn’t this reading from the book of Numbers a powerful and gripping passage? In the wilderness, God was teaching His people to follow. To follow Him. We find this invitation to follow our Creator as a foundational stone to our relationship with God. When we consider our purpose as God’s people, one of our first responses is to say “yes” to following Him. I have come to understand and firmly believe that it is in following God obediently that we can truly live out our God designed and intended purpose.

Listen to Numbers 9:22-23, “22 Whether the cloud stayed over the tabernacle for two days or a month or a year, the Israelites would remain in camp and not set out; but when it lifted, they would set out. 23 At the Lord’s command they encamped, and at the Lord’s command they set out. They obeyed the Lord’s order, in accordance with his command through Moses.”

This Numbers passage reminds me of the teaching in our Matthew’s Gospel readings today. Matthew 4:19 says, “And He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men” . Follow Me. Follow Me, learn from Me and I will give you rest for your souls.

When you review the Bible’s story it is not difficult to see that from the very beginning, God was preparing and teaching, the New Testament word would is discipling, His people how to belong to Him and to be led by Him. Follow me and I will train you. I will train you to love Me, to love others, to serve Me, to serve others, to hear Me, and to know Me. This invitation to follow is for us individually, and as a community of faith in our villages, towns and cities, and as part of the universal worshippers of God in all places in our world.

How are we doing at listening for the Lord’s leading in our lives?

What is God’s training for you in this season?

Please hear this, that wherever God is leading you, it is for you to grow and develop so that you and me, will reflect more of His image in our character and live out of a more established sense of our purpose in God’s great plan.


PRAYER

God, I choose to follow You today. Help me not to miss the move of Your Spirit so I may follow well and carry out Your purpose in my life. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE