THAT'S MY FAVORITE!!

 



January 30, 2024



2 Corinthians 9:11–12

“You will be enriched in every way so that you may be generous on every occasion, which is producing through us thanksgiving to God, because the service of this ministry is not only providing for the needs of the saints but is also overflowing with many thanks to God.”


I read the story recently of eight-year-old Hannah, who constantly gives her stuff away. Her parents say, “Seriously, we can’t stop her.”

Here is an example of a conversation, "Hannah, where is the new dress Mum got for you last week?"

"Oh,” she replies, "well, Mom, Rileigh really loved it and I’d already worn it once and I’m thankful that you got it for me. Really. But Rileigh just looked so pretty in it, and, well, see… I gave it to her."

This is what this little girl does, she gives away anything and everything: to friends, church members, and… in spite of some bewildered looks, has even happily given things to total strangers in the past, totally unaware that this is awkward for the recipient.

The interesting thing is that many of the friends that are recipients of this child's generosity don’t really need her clothing, toys, jewelry, and whatever. They just like them, or look pretty in them. Hannah recognizes this and acts accordingly with a “here you go, you have it”.

That’s amazing isn’t it for an 8 year old? I mean I have been annoyed at my wife giving away coffee mugs that I hardly ever used.

Here is the part that impacted me that Hannah’s generosity started to catch on and spread. Her friends started reciprocating. Clothes, jewelry, shoes, you name it. You see generosity is contagious.

I think as grown ups, we can think about generosity purely in terms of money. Yet, I think we know generosity is far deeper and more personal than that. Certainly, 8 year old Hannah and her friends are learning that, and I dare say teaching that.

On the same day, I read this other story of a woman who had been given a “Giving Key” necklace, she treasured this necklace. The purpose of the necklace was to pass it on to others. The woman said “but I love it. I’d rather buy a new one for someone than part with my own. The WHOLE POINT of this jewelry is to GIVE it away. It’s IN the actual name. Selfish much?” she concludes.

The fact is that God enriches us in many ways to be generous, that's what our Bible verse today teaches, we just need to respond. “You will be enriched in every way so that you may be generous on every occasion . . .” and the outcome of such generosity is that “this ministry overflows with many thanks to God.”

As I compared these two stories, I believe I know what 8-year-old Hannah would do with the necklace.

That little girl’s generosity brought some questions to my mind. I invite you to answer some of these for yourself today. What are your favorite things? What are the things you love and cherish? Favorite coffee shop? Favorite chair? Favorite view where you go to be alone?

What would it take for you to give a personal favorite treasure away. Give away the book. Pass on the boots, or shirt, hoodie, Team sweatshirt or blouse or “necklace”, you think someone would look fantastic in. How about that game console, the extra set of wrenches, tickets to the game? Rarely used coffee mugs? What would it take to share the peaceful hangout spot where you are re-energized?

Next Step, are you ready? It going to fly in the face of what is for many of us at least is our normal impulses. Give them away. Ok not all of them at once, maybe this week you could do some act under one of these categories:

Share a favorite.

Share an experience.

Share sacrificially.


“You will be enriched in every way so that you may be generous on every occasion, which is producing through us thanksgiving to God, because the service of this ministry is not only providing for the needs of the saints but is also overflowing with many thanks to God.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE