UNFAMILIAR PLACES

 JANUARY 18, 2023




Isaiah 42:16b

I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.



How much do you like change? I suppose I could guess what your answer is. It depends on what the change concerns, you might think. The truth is that we are creatures of habit and the thought of change unnerves us. The unfamiliar causes us a measure of fear and anxiousness. If you are anything like me, you likely find comfort in being able to predict things and find familiarity in how things are.

The Gospels tells us that Jesus opened the eyes of the blind, led people to the kingdom of God along unfamiliar paths like servanthood, humility, and inclusion, Jesus turned darkness into light. What this means for us is that when we live our lives in the presence of Jesus, we can be confident in the midst of the changes we face in life. I will admit it, Unfamiliar paths can be uncomfortable, but in the discomfort and fear of change we have God’s promise that we read above: "These things I will do, I will not forsake you".

For you, this could mean journeying through a time of illness that changes your everyday life. It could mean embracing changes in relationships with people dear to us. The experience of grief and sorrow can be an unfamiliar and scary paths for us. Remember, God’s perfect love casts out fear (1 John 4:18). God will smooth the rough places and not forsake us as we fix our eyes and hearts on him. Yes, even in the most significant places of change.

LET US PRAY

Loving God, you never change. You are the same yesterday, today and forever. Yet we are constantly faced with changes around us. Please give me courage. Give me steadfast faith in you so that by your light, I can prevail along unfamiliar paths through the darkness and in rough places.  In Jesus’ name. Amen.


Numbers 6:24-26

The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE