ONE THING

 JANUARY 31, 2023




Psalm 27:4

One thing I asked of the Lord;
this I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.

If you could ask God for only one thing, what would it be? 
(Pause give some thought to that question)


Here in Psalm 27, we see David’s “One Thing.”

I saw list of people responding to my opening question on a recent post and generally the responses were on everyday things, like prosperity, health, family needs, and possessions. Now these are natural requests for humankind. They are not wrong; they certainly are deep longings in us.

David’s “one thing” though stands in distinction to these. David says,

One thing I asked of the Lord;
this I seek:
to live in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
to behold the beauty of the Lord,
and to inquire in his temple.
Why is this David’s request? Well, the outcome is certainly important to life. Wouldn’t you agree? Dwelling in God’s presence will keep him safe; he will be hidden. He will be lifted above his enemies and will praise God with songs and music.

When we seek God first, other things are added. That is what Jesus told his disciples, and us, in Matthew 6, “seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” What things? All the necessary things of life.

So, perhaps we need to learn, what David discovered, that our “one thing” is to seek to dwell in the house of the Lord, to seek first his kingdom (Matthew 6:33). Let’s trust God to add all the things necessary that are for our good.

LET US PRAY

Lord, may I seek you first before all other things. You are “my light and my salvation; You are “the stronghold of my life." With David, I declare” “this I seek: to live in the house of the Lord, to abide in your presence, all the days of my life, to behold your beauty, Lord, and to burst out in songs of thankfulness and praise. Amen


PSALM 27:8-9
Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud;
be gracious to me and answer me!
“Come,” my heart says, “seek his face!”
Your face, Lord, do I seek.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE