NEARER THAN WE THINK

 MAY 11, 2022




Psalm 139.7-10


Where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there. If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast.

 

Let us return to some further highlights from The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence.

The theme that emerges in practicing being present to/with God, in Brother Lawrence’s view is the importance of growing this intention into a pattern or habit in our lives. These were thoughts that were more easily said than done. Brother Lawrence struggled, like many of us do, with the distracted wondering mind, especially in moments meant for spiritual focus. He spent years disciplining his heart and mind to yield to God's presence. "As often as I could, I placed myself as a worshiper before him, fixing my mind upon his holy presence, recalling it (his mind) when I found it wandering from him.”

Brother Lawrence teaches that “the habit is formed by the repetition of acts and by frequently bringing the mind back into God’s presence…yet once [the habit] is formed we will find contentment in everything.” From his reasoning Lawrence argues, “We cannot ask [God] for [help] unless we are with him. We cannot be with him unless we think of him often. We cannot think of him often unless we habitually practice this holy exercise.” Lawrence advises that if we bring ourselves into awareness of God’s presence often enough, we will become accustomed to doing so, and we will find that “there is nothing easier than to repeat these little inner adorations frequently throughout the day…while at work, [and] at every possible moment.”

Brother Lawrence wrote of God saying, “He does not ask much of us, merely a thought of Him from time to time, a little act of adoration, sometimes to ask for His grace, sometimes to offer Him your sufferings, at other times to thank Him for the graces, past and present, He has bestowed on you, in the midst of your troubles to take solace in Him as often as you can. Lift up your heart to Him during your meals and in company; the least little remembrance will always be the most pleasing to Him. One need not cry out very loudly; He is nearer to us than we think."

I really believe that Lawrence caught the message of Paul’s words in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.


16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing,
18 give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.



Let us Pray,

O God, we live and move have our being;
your Holy Spirit breathes life into us
moment by moment and day by day;
therefore, we wait for your loving-kindness, O God,
and open our hearts to your presence,
asking that you be with us now
and hold us in your strengthening care;
help us to put away all the distractions of our daily lives,
to quiet our hearts and our minds,
to seek and to know your presence with us now.




TAKE AWAY


Little sentences or prayers can help tune us into being intentional about looking for or noticing where God is. 

Here is a practice I read about a while ago.

when you walk into a new room;
when you get into the car;
when you arrive at a destination;
when you sit down to start an activity;

Pray something like this:

Show me, Lord. Help me notice.
Where are you? Surprise me! May I be present!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE