SENSING, SAVOURING, SHARING

 MAY 10, 2022



Last week I shared a sample of a Morning Prayer that you might incorporate at the start of your day. Some of you said you found that model helpful and I am glad to hear that. When I share models like this they are intended to be a resource or help for you they are never intended to be a have to do. Incorporate into your spiritual practices what you find helps and fits you.

The prayer guide model is meant to help you be aware, available, and attentive to God’s Presence. 

Today I want to share a prayer practice with you that might be helpful as an evening prayer, a practice that helps you to rest in God’s presence as you sleep. Time of day is not as important as the practice of course.

Personally, I found this practice very helpful when I was struggling with anxiety and was having trouble sleeping. Perhaps some of you have or have had similar struggles.


O God, we live and move have our being;
your Holy Spirit breathes life into us
moment by moment and day by day;
therefore, we wait for your loving-kindness, O God, 
and open our hearts to your presence, asking that you be with us now. Amen




PSALM 46


1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.

4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.

6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

7 The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

8 Come and see what the Lord has done,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.
9 He makes wars cease
to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
he burns the shields with fire.

10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”

11 The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.


BE STILL




Sit silently, comfortably, free of distractions. Closing your eyes
might help. Background music helps some people too.



(inhale) God, Surely You are in this place.
(exhale) Help me notice.



Continue this simple prayer until you feel ready to move on.



AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD



God loves you. God’s words and actions are always with love for
you. Sit in this truth of God’s amazing loving ways.



God, I trust You. Strengthen my trust. Amen



Ask God to lead you through this prayer time.



God, still me and open me to You.

Use my memories, reflections, and emotions

to speak to me what I need to receive.



THE LORD ALMIGHTY IS WITH US



Think about the day. Give thanks for everything you can think of, no matter how small.

Did you experience a sense of God’s Presence in those things?

Was there something God used to nudge your sense of his presence?

God, when did I SENSE Your Presence?



GOD IS OUR REFUGE AND STRENGTH



Now give yourself time to savour or appreciate any experience(s) and/or realizations of God’s Presence. 

  • Savouring gives time. 
  • Savouring lingers. 
  • Savouring relaxes. 
  • Savouring focuses. 
  • Savouring gives attention. 
  • Savouring appreciates. 
  • Savouring delights, enjoys, relishes.



God, help me SAVOUR being with You. Amen



(inhale) Wherever I go, you are there.
(exhale) Help me notice.




Rest in God’s Presence.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE