COUNT ME IN

 MAY 6, 2022




ISAIAH 6:1-8


6 It was in the year King Uzziah died that I saw the Lord. He was sitting on a lofty throne, and the train of his robe filled the Temple. 2 Attending him were mighty seraphim, each having six wings. With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew. 3 They were calling out to each other,

“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of Heaven’s Armies!
The whole earth is filled with his glory!”

4 Their voices shook the Temple to its foundations, and the entire building was filled with smoke.

Now that’s a description of being in the presence of God!! I want us to notice the outcome of Isaiah’s moment of encounter with God in the temple.

5 Then I said, “It’s all over! I am doomed, for I am a sinful man. I have filthy lips, and I live among a people with filthy lips. Yet I have seen the King, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.”

Confession

6 Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a burning coal he had taken from the altar with a pair of tongs. 7 He touched my lips with it and said, “See, this coal has touched your lips. Now your guilt is removed, and your sins are forgiven.”

Cleansing and Forgiveness

8 Then I heard the Lord asking, “Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?”

I said, “Here I am. Send me.”
Calling


What if that is the outcome for all of us? As we become more aware of God’s presence in our life, and our world, as we make efforts to remove the blinders, the obstacles, the distractions, as we find moments of silence and rest to encounter God, as we begin or continue to live with the belief that God’s presence is with us always, that there is not a moment we experience in all of life that cannot be called “holy”. What if living in the presence of God does for us what it did for Isaiah? What if this awareness lead us to a place of open and honest Confession, from that place of confession to Cleansing and Forgiveness, from there to an understanding of our Calling.


Count me in on that!!



LET'S PRAY

Dear Lord, show us how to live in a place where we are aware of our constant communion with You.

As Your child I humbly come before You. Thank You that I get to rest under the shelter of Your wings, here in the secret place of Your presence. I praise You, and I worship You, Lord.

“He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.” (Psalm 91:1)

I humbly hand over my heart to You, and I say, “Lord, here's my heart, search me and know me, show me anything in my life that is keeping me from being as close as I can be with You.”

“Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23-24)

As You show me these things in my heart and in my life, Holy Spirit, will You show me what You would like me to do? Will You show me how to let go of these things? Will You show me if there is any unforgiveness or pride in my heart?

“Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.” (Psalm 51:10-12)

Anything I am hanging on to that belongs to You, anything that I have willingly allowed into my life that is not in alignment with You and Your ways, I lay it down at the foot of the cross. I surrender all to You, Lord Jesus. Thank you for taking these burdens, Lord. Thank you for what You did on the cross to set us free. I praise You, Jesus!

“Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Matthew 11:29)

Amen.


PRACTICING

 

Over the weekend try some journal writing as you complete the sentences below …, or if you have a partner or friend to have a discussion with. 

 

● This week I sensed God's Presence when I… 

● This week I treasured God’s Presence when I…  

● This week I found it hard to notice the Sacred because I…

● This week when I sensed and treasured God’s Presence it made me feel…

● This week I sensed God’s Presence in an unexpected place…

● I’m finding I tend to “notice” when I’m…

 

Now offer these experiences to God in thankfulness for your growing awareness of his presence. In gratitude, offer prayers that speak of the blessing of surprises where your knowledge of God’s presence overwhelmed like it did for Jacob, where you stepped back and said something like “Surely God is in this place and I didn’t notice.” 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE