“Mo Ravi Vei Jisu,”

 


August 8, 2024


Lord, I am yours; I do yield myself up entirely to you, and I believe that you do take me. I leave myself with you. Work in me all the good pleasure of your will, and I will only lie still in your hands and trust you. Amen.


Psalms 9:10

10 Those who know your name trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.


Psalm 20:7


7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.




The Pacific island nation of Fiji, home to fewer than a million inhabitants boasts 33 athletes at the Paris Olympics, 24 of whom are rugby players. Fiji has historically won Olympic medals exclusively in Rugby Sevens.
 Rugby sevens is a form of  Rugby in which teams are made up of seven players playing seven-minute halves, instead of the usual 15 players playing 40-minute halves.

The Fiji men's Rugby team had maintained an undefeated streak in the Olympics, securing gold in Rio in 2016 when rugby sevens made its debut, and again in Tokyo in 2021. However, after 17 consecutive victories, they were defeated by the host nation, France, in this year's gold medal match.

Not only have the Fiji athletes been noted for their Rugby team, but the other thing they’ve become known for is singing praise to God. The loss to France in the Gold medal match has not stopped the Fijian team from offering honor to God in song.

The Fijian team has captured global attention by singing hymns in beautiful harmony within an Olympic Village courtyard. Australian water polo player Tilly Kearns shared a video, commenting, "Having the best seat in the Village!" (See Video Below)


What are they singing?, you may wonder. A classical music website called Discover Music shared the video and explained that the team was singing “Mo Ravi Vei Jisu,” a Fijian hymn. The words translate as “Put your trust into the Lord and he will guide your way.”

What a witness to their fellow athletes!



Their story made me think of Psalm 20:7. What a great verse this is. What a confidence giving, confidence boosting, encouraging verse. Let's acknowledge that when we look around at the world we see all kinds of things that we might be tempted to put our trust in, like your job, your income, people around you, even good people that you love that you’re tempted to trust in.

The symbols of power, and countries, and armies, and just all kinds of different things in the world that would say to us, “Hey, you can trust in this, you can trust in that.” The Psalmist here says, “I don’t trust in any of those things. I have a much greater more dependable place to put my trust, and that is in the name of the Lord, my God.” Now Psalm 20 is a Psalm, Prayer(?) of King David as they are about to head into a battle, into War. Put yourself there, what might you be praying? For David to pray these words when the circumstances reveal he needed military help in battle, he needs chariots, he needs horses, but he realizes the battle is not ultimately won by chariots or horses. The battle is ultimately won by God.

The message of these athletes from Fiji, is a testimony and also a challenge to remind all of us to not settle for trusting in what will only lead to despair and dissappointment. Trust in the One who has never forsaken those who seek Him!

Psalm 28:7

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.

Amen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BE ENCOURAGED

IT WAS VERY GOOD

BE EASY ON PEOPLE