Go for God and not for Gold!

 


August 9, 2024

 



Matthew 6:19-21; 33

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also….

33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

 

 



I read the following Instagram post a while ago from Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone, who is a 400 metre hurdles competitor for the US team. I was really struck by her focus in this post. Give it a read,

“Let me start off by saying, what and honor it is to be able to represent not only my country, but also the kingdom of God. What I have in Christ is far greater than what I have or don’t have in life. I pray my journey may be a clear depiction of submission and obedience to God. Even when it doesn’t make sense, even when it doesn’t seem possible. He will make a way out of no way. Not for my own gratification, but for His glory. I have never seen God fail in my life. In anyone’s life for that matter. Just because I may not win every race, or receive every one of my heart’s desires, does not mean God had failed. His will is PERFECT. And He has prepared me for a moment such as this. That I may use the gifts He has given me to point all the attention back to Him.”

What grabbed me was that here is a top world athlete whose focus was on God not Gold. The stories we have shared this week seem to have this common thread, whatever happens in competition, whatever the outcomes in their particular sport, these athletes say they want God to receive the Glory.

What a powerful witness this worldview is, I may finish first or seventh or last, but they seem to all echo Sydney’s words above God’s “will is PERFECT. And He has prepared me for a moment such as this. That I may use the gifts He has given me to point all the attention back to Him.”

These athletes, and the confidence and faith they have in God challenge us to Go for God and not for Gold! Let us live by the call of Jesus to “seek first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” May we in victory of defeat “point all the attention back to him.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BE ENCOURAGED

IT WAS VERY GOOD

BE EASY ON PEOPLE