WALK slow. GO easy. And LOVE well

 


August 14, 2024

Let me know you, oh Lord, who knows me; let me know you as I am known. Enter into my soul and fitted for yourself so that you may have it and hold it without spot or wrinkle. This is my hope. Amen.

St. Augustine in Confessions


Matthew 5:13-16

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.



30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”



There is a sign I have been seeing increasingly around our city that I find troubling. I am not troubled by what the sign says, but I am troubled by the circumstances that make this sign necessary. Perhaps you've seen the sign perhaps you have the same reaction I do. The sign on referring to is being posted in grocery stores, local take outs, restaurants, corner stores, and hospitals that reads:


Have you seen it or some version of this message?

The very need to post such a sign saddens me, and also says something about our culture. Please note I said OUR culture. I am part of that culture, you are too.  I am not suggesting that the sign is directed to everyone reading this. But, whats the old saying “if the shoe fits then wear it”?  Own the responsibility. I am, I get impatient in the check out line, the way I speak has at times been … shall we say not seasoned with love.

An analysis of our culture is not the intent here, but I am interested in reflecting how we as followers of Jesus ought to carry ourselves. I have witnessed this angry trend, haven’t you? Somehow we have come to a place where the norm seems to be just keep arguing, keep raising your voice louder and louder, throw a few disparaging remarks at the person and you will get what you are after.

Monday, our Bible verse opened with “Be easy on people; you’ll find life a lot easier.” There is great wisdom in those words. A school sign I drive by reads  “In a world where you can be anything, BE KIND.” More good advice.  Jesus says the commands of God can be boiled down to Love God, Love neighbor. Jesus also invites us to be salt and light in the world, and the reason for such an invitation …. to GLORIFY our Father in Heaven. In other words, the followers of Jesus can lead by example, by their actions, by the way they treat people around them. In doing this we may just bring about change in culture the way salt seasons the food we eat.

My own self examination on this reveals that when I am harsh, or unkind to staff at a store etc., it rarely has to do with the person in front of me. It is always about something in me, I have crammed so much in my day that I am rushing, the anxiousness and pressure that brings makes me selfish, and grumpy. Do you understand this? Does it happen to you?

Maybe for starters in such moments we should take a deep breath and, as Darren Mulligan of We Are Messengers encourages us in one song, “try very hard to … “Walk slow. Go easy. And love well.”

What does that sentence mean to you? “Walk slow. Go easy. And love well.”

Today let us prayerfully contemplate those seven words and what they could mean for your life and who finds a welcome at your table.

 

 LET US PRAY

Father, protect me from the onslaught of things, that bid for your attention. Give me your peace. Amen.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BE ENCOURAGED

IT WAS VERY GOOD

BE EASY ON PEOPLE