RESPECTING ALL



 August 27, 2024


I have one deep, supreme desire.
That I may be like Jesus.
To this I fervently aspire,
That I may be like Jesus . . . .
Amen.


Thomas Chisholm


Romans 12:10 (Good News Version)

Love one another warmly as Christians, and be eager to show respect for one another.


Honoring one another involves respect. The Good News Version you just read says, “Be eager to show respect for one another.” Honor and respect go together. You cannot separate them. It’s the two sides of the same coin. To show respect for someone is to give them your special attention. Respecting someone is to listen to them even if you disagree with them. Respecting someone is to not be rude toward them.

Showing respect to another person is something we rarely encounter these days. Have you noticed how people speak to one another in our culture? How they speak about one another in our culture? If respecting someone is to not be rude toward them, then I feel like our culture has lossed grasp of what it means to show respect. You may not agree, but I can't help but notice the disrespect that opposing politicians have for each other, name calling and "character assassination" is rampent. I have watched, as you have, the disrespect toward Prime Ministers/Opposition Leaders, Presidents/former Presidents, and Law enforcement .... I wish I could point the accusing finger at "the world" and say see how disrespectful they are!! but I cannot because the same disrespect rears its ugly head in the church too. I have watched the way that more conservative christians attack, thats the right word, those who are brothers and sisters in Christ but think differently, and vise versa. All of this troubles me deeply because I too have a difficult time being consistant and living up to 1 Peter 3:15 “But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.”

1 Peter 2:17 states, "Respect everyone." As followers of Jesus, who believe that God created each person with a purpose and significance, we ought to be the most honoring and respectful individuals around. It is a way of being salt and light in the world. Demeaning others, belittling, or engaging in rude sarcasm should never define us. Matthew 7:12 keeps going through my mind “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.”

LET US PRAY

Sovereign Lord, in reverence to You, let me honor and respect all that You have created.

I admit that I sometimes fail to respect Your most incredible creations—human beings. 

I ask You to replace my self-centeredness with a loving kindness that allows me to view others as You do—as invaluable treasures deserving of gentle care and respect. 

Remind me to uphold respect in my interactions with my spouse, my children, friends, and neighbors, yes even strangers. Forgive me for the times I've set a poor example of respect. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BE ENCOURAGED

IT WAS VERY GOOD

BE EASY ON PEOPLE