FROM STRUGGLE to FRUITFULNESS

 



February 27, 2024


Genesis 41:37-43, 46-52

“Can we find anyone like this man, one in whom is the spirit of God?”

39 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. 40 You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you.”

41 So Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I hereby put you in charge of the whole land of Egypt.” 42 Then Pharaoh took his signet ring from his finger and put it on Joseph’s finger. He dressed him in robes of fine linen and put a gold chain around his neck. 43 He had him ride in a chariot as his second-in-command, and people shouted before him, “Make way!” Thus he put him in charge of the whole land of Egypt.

46 Joseph was thirty years old when he entered the service of Pharaoh king of Egypt. And Joseph went out from Pharaoh’s presence and traveled throughout Egypt.

50 … two sons were born to Joseph by Asenath daughter of Potiphera, priest of On. 51 Joseph named his firstborn Manasseh and said, “It is because God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father’s household.” 52 The second son he named Ephraim and said, “It is because God has made me fruitful in the land of my suffering.”



FROM STRUGGLE to FRUITFULNESS


Do you know the Old Testament Joseph and his story? I find that some of the most beautiful snapshots of grace are viewed in his life. Here in Genesis 41 Joseph at 30 years of age, is in the employ of Pharaoh and is the second in command in Egypt. “Can we find anyone like this man, one in whom is the spirit of God?” Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you.” … So Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I hereby put you in charge of the whole land of Egypt.” (Genesis 41:37-41) Not too bad for a Jewish boy in Egypt!

Joseph, in our account, names his two sons, born from Asenath. Notice two things about the names he gives them. First, the names Manasseh and Ephraim are Hebrew names, not Egyptian. This establishes that they belong to the Covenant God of the Hebrews, even though born in Egypt to an Egyptian mother. But second, notice the meaning of the two names as these are very revealing.

First, Manasseh – “God has made me forget all my toil and all my father’s house”. Manasseh, means forgetfulness. Joseph named his firstborn Manasseh, because God had made Joseph to be able to forget all the previous pain and trial in his life. You may recall some of the pain from Joseph’s story, had been spoiled by his father and as a result he was rejected by his brothers, then attacked and sold into slavery by them. He had been thrown in jail for honoring God and those he had helped forgot him.

Second, Ephraim – “For God has caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction”. Ephraim, means fruitfulness. He gave him this name because God had made Joseph fruitful in Egypt. God had raised him from the “pit to the pinnacle”, second in power only to Pharaoh. God had blessed Joseph, and gave him peace and blessing.

I want to draw attention to the fact that these are not just names; they are also statements of faith. Interpreted, these powerful statements demonstrate Joseph’s testimony, God has brought me through! God has brought me to peace after a great storm!

I want to remind you today that we have every reason to believe that God will bring us through too. Joseph’s story teaches us that our merciful God can take those serious and devastating circumstances in our journeys and turn them to our benefit, for our good, and to his glory. I am thankful that the snapshot of Joseph’s story illustrates for us that God’s grace provides relief from our struggles too! But not just “relief” but also “fruitfulness.”

Pause for a time of reflection and ask God to remind you of how He has brought you through in your past experiences. Give Thanks.

Then in prayer, ask God to give you the assurance of His grace for the days that are ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE