THAT NAGGING DOUBT

 




March 1, 2024




I Kings 9:3

“And the LORD said to him: “I have heard your prayer and your supplication that you have made before Me.”



Scripture reading: 1 Kings 8:22 – 9:9


THAT NAGGING DOUBT


Prayer is hard. Would you agree? My experience has been both in my own life, and through the testimonies of others that most of us Jesus’ followers struggle with praying faithfully in one way or another.

Frankly, I have lost count of how many times on home visits over the years I have heard words like “I don’t pray enough.” Maybe you have said that. Many authors have labeled prayer as a “Christian Discipline.” What that means is that Prayer is an area for growth and development as we walk with our God. Our practice of prayer changes over time in frequency and content.

I wonder if it is possible that one reason prayer is such a challenge for us is that we have this “nagging doubt” that God hears our prayers. Now don’t misunderstand me on this, I know we understand that God hears prayers, but we also need to firmly believe that God hears OUR prayers. Well, we learn today from our reading in 1 Kings 9 that God heard Solomon’s prayer. And so know this, God hears our prayers too!!

What was Solomon’s prayer you may be wondering? I invite you to read 1 Kings 8:22 – 9:9 for the full prayer of Solomon, it’s worth the read I promise. The prayer is basically a prayer that God’s mercy and grace will rest upon his people. Solomon’s Temple, which in the context of our reading today is being dedicated to the Lord, as a symbol of God’s presence on earth, a reminder of the Covenant God among his people, a reminder of God’s faithfulness to his promises, a reminder of God’s grace, his unearned favor toward his people.

Following Solomon’s prayer and the dedication of the temple we are told that God appeared to Solomon and “The Lord said to him: “I have heard the prayer and plea you have made before me; I have consecrated this temple, which you have built, by putting my Name there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there.”

God listened to the prayers of Solomon “by grace alone!” If you know Solomon’s story you will likely remember that he was not the perfect righteous King, that kind of King was still to come in Jesus, sin plays a major part in King Solomon’s life, as it sometimes does in our own. The most basic reason God listens to and answers the prayers of His wayward, covenant people is His grace and abounding love.

I hope the snapshot of Grace is starting to develop for you today. What does all this mean for us? It means we should be certain, confident, convinced and fully persuaded that God is listening to our prayers!! His grace is full and free for us through Christ. Our Good and Faithful God’s unwavering promise to us is to hear us when we pray. So…pray!!


Psalm 34:1-8

I will extol the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips. I will glory in the Lord; let the afflicted hear and rejoice. Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt his name together. 

I sought the Lord, and he answered me; …. This poor man called, and the Lord heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. Amen!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE