ENTER OPEN DOORS

 NOVEMBER 2, 2022



Luke 7:36-39

When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them. When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner.”


It’s interesting that, in this passage, Jesus is an invited guest in the home of a Pharisee, rather than that of a “sinner”, as we’ve seen so far in this week’s devotions. It’s probably the least likely place you would expect Him to encounter this sinful woman, and yet, she finds her way to Jesus and pours out extravagant humility and love, much to the dismay of the Pharisee. Once more, Jesus faces criticism and judgement, this time for allowing this sinful woman to touch him. But Jesus a few verses later defends her actions and compares them to the actions of the Pharisee, and the lack of hospitality he showed.

We read,

44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

You see, both the Pharisee and the “sinful” woman needed what Jesus had to offer, but only one, the women was humble enough to receive it. What we notice about Jesus is that he made the most of every opportunity and demonstrates to us His willingness to enter through whatever open doors came to Him, in order to share His love and truth.

I read stories like this one, and I wonder how many divine opportunities or open doors I have missed to be an example of Christ’s love and truth because I was unwilling to cross the threshold.

How about you?

TAKE AWAY

What doors might be open to you to share the love and compassion of Jesus with others?

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE