ACT 14: MORE


MARCH 21, 2022


I know how to get along and live humbly [in difficult times], and I also know how to enjoy abundance and live in prosperity. In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret [of facing life], whether well-fed or going hungry, whether having an abundance or being in need. I can do all things [which He has called me to do] through Him who strengthens and empowers me [to fulfil His purpose – I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency; I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him who infuses me with inner strength and confident peace.]

(Philippians 4:12–13 Amplified Translation)

______________________ 

 

It is easy to do the bare minimum, isn't it? Or even to simply “just” get the job done. I have worked with people that live their lives this way: Just doing the bare minimum. Even when doing a little extra would help a co-worker or family member. I have been that person too.

Our time is precious, after all, and our energy is limited. But there's a universal principle to delighting others: unexpected and generous undeserved abundance. Going above and beyond. Putting in 110%, as athletes always say. Walking the extra mile. Our reading today suggests that “Going the extra mile” is a lifestyle. Philippians 4:12–13, suggests to us that we can go above and beyond what we think we are capable of, because of the God that we serve. In this way, going the extra mile isn’t extraordinary; it becomes the norm of our lives. That is a great way to live don’t you think? Romans 15:2 says “Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up.” Jesus said “let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” “Going the extra mile” is the “Jesus Way.”

I suspect we have all been on the receiving end of the generosity that such a life style produces. So how does going the extra mile impact on our lives? I have found, as you have, that as we give to and invest in others generously, God has poured his abundant blessing into our lives, often in the most unexpected places, and from the most unexpected of sources!

So our reading today reminds us, that even though going the extra for someone feels to much to us, physically and emotionally, it is [not your strength, but it is] God who is effectively at work in you, both to will and to work [that is, strengthening, energizing, and creating in you the longing and the ability to fulfil your purpose] for His good pleasure. (Philippians 2:13 AMP)


Find small ways to delight someone today. For example, if you are in a restaurant, leave an extra-generous tip or a glowing review online. Forget the cost and find your joy in the smile on someone else’s face. I recall that one day I was standing in the line at FreshCo, and with out much thought I just blurted out to the cashier, “How is my favorite Cashier today?” her face lit up, it changed my relationship with her, not only in the store, but when I saw here elsewhere, she always had a smile for me, a hi. I am sure I made her day by my words from the reaction, but she also made my day.

Think of the most outlandish, extravagant act of generosity you could feasibly do today wherever you are, and then go for it. Whatever you choose, do it cheerfully.

 

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE