Friends At Their Best

 





MAY 1, 2024




Psalm 133

Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers and sisters dwell in unity!



Friends At Their Best


If you could give a description of what humanity on its best day might be like what would you say?

I suspect that for most of us we might describe humanity at its best in some act of kindness towards one another. A vision of selflessness, sacrifice, and generosity toward another with no strings attached. I think that is why “Random Act of Kindness Day” caught on because deep down we all want to live in world like that.

Through the insight of David in Psalm 133, God invites us to notice how wonderful unity is, especially in our Christian friendships. Now, that does not mean we’ll never have tensions. I believe we know that all healthy relationships need genuine investments of time and energy, and we will all have times when a conflict will require us to listen respectfully to another person’s perspective. It may mean we need to apologize for something and ask for forgiveness.

The aim of lovingly working through conflicts to a place of peaceful unity is always about reconciling the friendship. And when that happens, it’s wonderful, not only for the ones who’ve worked through the conflict, but it’s also an inspiration for others and a witness to the gift of faith as our foundation in all relationships. No wonder our Psalm today declares “Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers and sisters dwell in unity!” To behold the beauty of unity and kindness inspires us all to be a better version of humanity. Today let us notice the acts of kindness we receive with thankfulness, and how about we look for opportunities to offer an act of kindness to someone we meet today.

A couple years ago, I was returning home after conducting a funeral, I stopped at my favorite little shop to grab a sandwich, and someone asked me why I was so dressed up, I told them I was returning from a funeral. I placed my order and when I went to pay, I was told that the women ahead of me paid for my order. A stranger, but fellow human, with an act of kindness. That is my description of what humanity on its best day looks like.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE