BEING WHO WE ARE

 





DECEMBER 13, 2023

 

Luke 1:46-49

And Mary said, "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for He has looked on the humble estate of His servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His Name."

 

I think most of us have been taught to be humble, after all the opposite of humility is pride. Proverbs 11:2 says “When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.” In the Bible, pride is described as an excessive love of one’s own excellence. It is in considering this teaching that many of us, have what I would call a false humility. Were you taught something like: Don't think about how great you are, ever? Let me ask you, do you find it hard to receive compliments?

Look at what Mary says right here: "From now on all generations will call me blessed!"

And of course, she's right. Mary is blessed, and the whole world does say so, because God has made her the mother of Jesus. What greater blessing could there be?

So, she admits, and rejoices in her role in God’s plan. But it doesn't turn poisonous for her, she isn’t arrogant about it. Mary joyfully puts the glory right where it belongs, “for He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His Name." Mary points beyond herself to God who did this wonderful thing to her.

We can do that, too. There is no need for us to hide who we are, whether that's a gifted mechanic, a wonderful singer, a great baker, a warm person of hospitality, a hard and dependable worker, or a person to whom God has given special gifts. You and me, we are what God has made us, we have strengths, skills, abilities, and gifts given by God’s amazing grace. We, an like Mary, can give glory to God who made us this way, and gifted us. Because above all, we are God's children, “we are God’s workmanship”, freed by Jesus Christ who loved us, and have been given a calling and purpose.

 

God, thank You for all the gifts You have given me, help me to always use them for your glory. Amen.


Reflect

* Name one gift God has given you.


* How do you serve God or others with that gift?


* What is a gift in which you are growing right now?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE