WORDS

 



DECEMBER 6, 2023


Luke 1:18-20

And Zechariah said to the angel, "How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years." And the angel answered him, "I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I was sent to speak to you and to bring you this good news. And behold, you will be silent and unable to speak until the day that these things take place, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled in their time."

 

Zechariah is noticeably subdued. His first words exhibit doubt: "How shall I know this? Give me some proof. I'm too old to have a baby, and my wife is, too." You would think talking to an angel would be all the proof a person would need.

Gabriel gives him some proof, shows Zechariah his ID badge, and then hands Zechariah a consequence for his unbelief: "You don't believe my words? Fine. You don't get to have any words of your own, until the day when you see these words fulfilled!"

The outcome? The only words in Zechariah's home for the next nine months are going to be his wife, Elizabeth’s, oh yeah and Mary's, when she comes to visit. The believers get words, lots of them, words full of praise and joy. And by God's mercy, the unbelieving world gets the Word of God, Jesus the Rescuer, who came to lay down His life for us, that we might receive the gift of everlasting life.

God, thank You for sending Your Word, Jesus, to be our Savior. Amen.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE