STRONG IN THE LORD



 January 31, 2022

BIBLE READINGS

Haggai 2:1-4 

1 In the seventh month, on the twenty-first day of the month, the word of the Lord came by the hand of Haggai the prophet: 2“Speak now to Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest, and to all the remnant of the people, and say, 3‘Who is left among you who saw this house in its former glory? How do you see it now? Is it not as nothing in your eyes? 4Yet now be strong, O Zerubbabel, declares the LordBe strong, O Joshua, son of Jehozadak, the high priest. Be strong, all you people of the land, declares the LordWork, for I am with you, declares the Lord of hosts.

Luke 9:62 

62Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.”


Colossians 3:23

23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,


STRONG IN THE LORD



Have you ever started something with great enthusiasm, only to struggle and become discouraged a short time later? We all have.

On Sunday we talked about two sources of discouragement that God points out to the people through Haggai, Comparisons and a lack of progress.

Comparing where we are, with someone elses finish. In Haggai, they compare their 1 month of toil on the temple rebuild, to Solomon's maginificent finished temple. Which by the way was a 7 year building project. I don't know about you, but I get incredibly discouraged when I compare. Compare to where I am to the finish of other people.

Second cause of discouragement is just a lack of progress, and results. The people are a month into this, and this is not going the way they had visualized it. We're trying so hard, but we're not getting anywhere.

I'm not where I thought I would be.

She's ahead of me. He's doing more.

They've got this. I don't have it.

I'm trying my best, and I'm not making progress,

and so one day, you feel like these people did,

"I'm not even sure it's worth it."

Ever have experiences like this? I believe we all have.


Today let's answer a few questions.


What setbacks have you experienced as you follow Christ?


Have those setbacks dampened your enthusiasm, or made you stronger?


How has comparison to others or lack of progress impacted your desire to keep growing in your walk with God?


What do you feel keeps you from being strong and doing the work you need to do to get past discouragement?



REFLECT


God's antidote to discouragement is "Be Strong and Do the Work." As you “do the work” of focusing on what God has for you rather than on comfort or comparisions or lack of progress, how can you stay consistent with what God has revealed to you to do?

PRAYER

God, You didn’t just ask us to build Your house. You said, "I am with you; build my house." Thank You for being with us. Holy Spirit, help each of us to identify the places we’ve allowed discouragement to hold us back. God, make us strong to do Your work. Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE