CRUCIAL PRIORITIES


 January 28, 2022



Psalms 63:1-6 

1O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water. 2I have seen you in your sanctuary and gazed upon your power and glory. 3Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you! 4I will praise you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer. 5You satisfy me more than the richest feast. I will praise you with songs of joy. 6I lie awake thinking of you, meditating on you through the night.

Haggai 1:10-12 NLT

10It’s because of you that the heavens withhold the dew and the earth produces no crops. 11I have called for a drought on your fields and hills—a drought to wither the grain and grapes and olive trees and all your other crops, a drought to starve you and your livestock and to ruin everything you have worked so hard to get.” 12Then Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel, and Jeshua son of Jehozadak, the high priest, and the whole remnant of God’s people began to obey the message from the Lord their God. When they heard the words of the prophet Haggai, whom the Lord their God had sent, the people feared the Lord.


CRUCIAL PRIORITIES


I find quite a contrast between our two readings today. In Psalm 63 we have this song of devotion and longing for God's presence. In Haggai 1:10-12 we have the outcome of distracted living, of life lived off center, of God's presence. The image of drought, dryness, no production from the fields and trees and vines speak to us of a wilderness setting that "ruins everything you have worked so hard to get."

Have you ever experienced a dry season in your spiritual life? A time of drought, dryness, and lack of growth? 

Sometimes we don’t even realize how parched and empty we are.  In these moments, I have found, I keep filling my days with other things to fill the emptiness and disconnection from God I feel.  Can you relate? 

Thus it is crucial that you have the right priorities. I believe we all know that our priorities determine how we spend our time, with whom we spend our time, and unltimately the decisions that we make. Today we are challanged and reminded that "Priorities—godly priorities—are crucial!"


REFLECT


How have your habits and priorities impacted your ability to hear God?


In what ways can a proper fear of the Lord benefit your relationship with Him and place a higher priority on your walk with Him? 


(REMINDER: In the scripture "fear of the Lord" is not about being afraid and hiding in a garden, or cowering, rather the "fear of the Lord" carries a meaning of  having a deep respect, reverence and awe for God’s power and authority. Rather than causing someone to be afraid of God, a proper “fear of the Lord” leads one to love Him, and thirst for God's presence.)  


** Hebrew noun yirah “usually refers to the fear of God and is viewed as a positive quality. This fear acknowledges God’s good intentions (Exodus 20:20). … This fear is produced by God’s Word (Psalm 119:38Proverbs 2:5) and makes a person receptive to wisdom and knowledge (Proverbs 1:79:10)” (Warren Baker and Eugene Carpenter, The Complete Word Study Dictionary: Old Testament, 2003, pp. 470-471).



PRAY


Lord, draw me closer to you. I want to be where you want me to be and who you want me to become. I am feeling overwhelmed with balancing the desire to stay where it’s safe and following hard after you. Lord, I love you and am seeking your direction. I am thirsty  in this barren land. Fill me up. I’m listening for your voice. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE