I AM SO GRATEFUL


 

April 20, 2023


LUKE 8:1-3

 

8 After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, 2 and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; 3 Joanna the wife of Chuza, the manager of Herod’s household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means.

 

 

Maurice Casey, the author of Jesus of Nazareth, supposes Mary must have suffered from severe emotional or psychological trauma to deem an exorcism necessary. She was battered and bruised, injured and in agony from the suffering demon possession entailed.

We can only speculate what it was like when Jesus looked at Mary in her state of desperation. Only He could have seen who she really was, what she could become, regardless of her possessed state. He commanded the demons to leave her. Though not many details are recorded about this event, her name is among the few mentioned in the Gospels of those Jesus healed.

Yesterday we looked at Mary’s devotion and the way she followed Jesus in faithfulness. That faithful devotion led to an amazing spiritual experience and revelation. Today I want to point out that this faithful devotion she showed was the grateful response for the healing, and new life she received from Jesus.

It has been my experience that grateful people seek to be a blessing because they've received a blessing. It is said that gratitude is never silent. It's never invisible. It's never, well you don't know my heart. I'm a grateful person on the inside. What I have witnessed is, if you're grateful, you'll speak up. If you're grateful, you'll show up. If you're grateful, you'll stand up. Mary didn't just say thanks to Jesus. She said, how can I help? What can I do? What needs to happen? You obviously have needs. You need resources? I can do that. I have gifts. I have blessings. I have means. I couldn't save myself. So, I'm going to use what I do have to help you set others free too.

That’s been our response to God’s marvelous grace in our lives as well. We say, don’t we? Here I am Lord, use me, and all that I have, so that others may experience “New Life” in you too.

And early in the morning, through the dark, through the risk, Mary shows up at the tomb with spices in her hand to care for her Lord and rescuer.  Why? She is so grateful. And we, if we follow her story, recognize that gratitude can be seen all over her life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED

METEORIC LOVE