METEORIC LOVE

 



JULY 5, 2024


I'm amazed at the human capacity for love. I will use myself as the case study. I have been blessed to have a beautiful and wonderful woman to love as my wife. When our first daughter was born, I was amazed to find that my heart expanded to a different channel of love. Some of you I am guessing know what I am talking about. My soul opened in a new way. When I thought I had expended all my love, along came children 2, 3, and 4. I would always wonder if I had the capacity to love more than I already did, could my heart expand more? Guess what my capacity for love kept growing. And now as a grandfather of 4, that love expands and expands with each one. I have said to my daughter about my Grandkids, “just when you think you have topped out your love for them,” which is quite substantial, "you spend an afternoon with them and your love for them grows again." There seems to be some new reservoir of love that opens and is released. Have you experienced that in your relationships too?

Recently, I read the following statement, “Our capacity to love provides just a hint of God’s great love for us.” Read that again. “Our capacity to love provides just a hint of God’s great love for us.”

In the Bible’s revealing of God’s love, we are taught that God’s love cannot be restricted. It is boundless, unlimited, no conditions full of grace. It is unfailing. There is an old saying that you likely have heard that says “there is nothing that we can do to make God love us more; there is nothing we can do to make God love us less. His love, in other words, is perfect!

Psalm 36:5-7 says,

“Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the highest mountains, your justice like the great deep. You, Lord, preserve both people and animals. How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.”

Here is the way Eugene Peterson says it in The Message:

God’s love is meteoric,
his loyalty astronomic,
His purpose titanic,
his verdicts oceanic.

Yet in his largeness
nothing gets lost;
Not a man, not a mouse,
slips through the cracks.



God, thank you for loving us with an unfailing and limitless love. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUN with GOD

BE ENCOURAGED