6.10.26

Stewardship and Abundance

 October 7, 2026




Opening Prayer

Lord, as we come to Your Word, open our minds to understand, open our ears to truly hear, and open our spirits to receive whatever You want to speak today. Let these Scriptures shape us, steady us, and remind us of Your goodness.  Amen.


Bible Reading

2 Corinthians 9:6–11

“You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion.”

Reflection

We live in a world that often defines abundance as having more.

More money.
More possessions.
More choices.
More success.
More security.

The message is "If I just had a little more, I would finally have enough."

But Scripture gives us a different picture of abundance.

Biblical abundance isn’t simply about having more for ourselves. It is about recognizing that God has given us enough to receive with gratitude and enough to share with others.

Paul tells the Corinthians that God supplies what they need so that they can be generous.

That changes the question.

Instead of asking, “Do I have enough?” we begin asking, “What has God given me that I can share?”

This is stewardship.

Everything we have ultimately comes from God—our possessions, abilities, time, opportunities, relationships, and resources. We’re not really owners; we are caretakers of God’s gifts.

And stewardship begins with gratitude. When we recognize what we already have, scarcity begins to lose some of its grip.

Scarcity says: “I don’t have enough.”

Gratitude says: “Look at what God has already given me.”

Generosity takes the next step: “How can I share what I’ve been given?”

That doesn’t mean ignoring genuine needs or pretending we have unlimited resources. It means learning to trust God with what we do have. Sometimes abundance looks surprisingly ordinary. It may be an extra place at the table. A meal shared with someone who is alone. A phone call to someone who needs encouragement. A financial gift. An hour of your time. A bag of groceries.

Jesus reminds us that our lives are not measured by how much we accumulate, but by how faithfully we receive God’s gifts and use them for his purposes.

Perhaps the question for Thanksgiving isn’t simply:

“What am I thankful to have?”

Perhaps it is also:

“What do I have that God might be asking me to share?”

We do not give because we have everything.
We give because God has already given us so much.

Prayer

Generous God,
thank you for all that you have entrusted to me. Teach me the freedom of enough. Help me trust your provision and hold what I have with open hands.

Use what you have given me— my time, my resources, my abilities, and my love—
to bring encouragement and hope to someone else. May my gratitude become generosity.

Amen.

Application

I wonder if our response today might be to review our lives and look for the place of scarcity where we have been reluctant to trust God's provision.

Where might God be inviting you and me to move from "I need more" to "I have something to share"?

No comments:

Post a Comment